Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Can a Night Owl Become an Early Bird?

Why is this person smiling?
I need my sleep more than I need food. (Just ask my sisters.) I don't understand people who say, "Too much sleep makes me feel groggy." What is this "too much sleep" of which they speak? I could easily sleep for 12 hours and wake up feeling great! Eight hours is my absolute minimum.

The problem is, ever since my days as a young Disco Queen, I've gravitated toward staying up late. My glamorous restaurant work schedule got me home at 2:00 am, too. So if I don't set my alarm for a while, I easily slip into vampire mode.

I haven't set my alarm for a while.

In two and a half weeks, I have to get up at 5:30 to arrive somewhere by 7:30, all bright and functional. Lately, I've been getting to sleep between midnight and 1:00 am and getting up around 9:00. So I figure I have two options.

Option #1: Try to get to sleep early the night before. Read a boring book, drink three mugs of Sleepytime tea, try NOT to take one of my husband's Ambiens because they leave me groggy for hours into the next day.... Then at 1:30 am, in total frustration that I can't sleep, take one of my husband's Ambiens and be groggy well into the afternoon the next day.

Option #2: Aim to sleep and wake up 15 minutes earlier each day until the dreaded 5:30 wake-up-perky day.

I'm going to try Option #2. As they say in Sci-fi movies, "It's so crazy, it just might work!!"

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment